Violence in Eastern DRC worsens despite “siege” – UN News for armed groups

Last April, the DRC declared a state of siege in the provinces of North Kivu and Ituri due to escalating attacks by police.

Security has deteriorated in two provinces in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) since the government put them under military rule last year, UN experts said.

Last April, the government declared a state of siege in North Kivu and Ituri provinces in response to escalating attacks by militias, including multiple ISIL-related massacres Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

The state of siege puts the provinces under the rule of military governors. Dozens of militias remained active in North Kivu and Ituri after a major regional war in 2003.

“Despite the state of the siege, security and the humanitarian situation in the two provinces have deteriorated,” said a report presented by the UN Expert Group on the DRC to the Security Council on Friday.

It says the ADF has been dispersed by military operations but has remained resilient, stepping up attacks on civilians. “This escalation in the number of attacks and killings of civilians was part of the ADF’s revenge tactics, which also aimed to dissuade operations against the ADF,” the report said.

According to Kivu Security Tracker, which maps violence in the eastern part of the DRC, the ADF is responsible for 1,050 violent deaths in 2021, twice as many in 2020.

A spokesman for the DRC government did not immediately respond to a request for comment. He had previously denied the siege was a failure, pointing to success on the battlefield.

Uganda, another neighbor of the DRC, too sent troops in November to conduct joint operations with the DRC forces against ADF originating in Uganda.

Violence by other militias is also on the rise, experts said.

The M23 rebels, who captured parts of the eastern DRC in 2012 before being defeated the following year by Congolese troops and UN peacekeepers, launched a major offensive last month that captured several strategic cities.

The DRC blames neighboring Rwanda, who invaded him twice in the 1990s to support the rebels and send his own troops across the border. Rwanda denies this.

UN experts have not concluded whether Rwanda supports M23, although research on this report was completed before the rebels stepped up their offensive.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.